Friday, December 21, 2012

What Really Matters

      Heidi Mordhorst is hosting Poetry Friday today at Juicy Little Universe.  Thanks to Heidi, the day will be filled with the pleasure of reading poems and thoughts about poetry.  

              It's the first day of winter, time for reflection for the holidays and the new year ahead.   Writing this week has been a challenge of what to say, what to do, how far to talk with students, how to support my colleagues, etc.  I'm posting a poem today that I found a few weeks ago.  I saved it then, but didn't realize how very important it would be to read and re-read at this time of grief for those who have lost loved ones recently.  

What Matters, And What Doesn't
                          by Gautam Sen

Are you French or Indonesian
Or Korean or Papua New Guinean
Or Nicaraguan?
Are you black or brown
Or white or yellow?


         The rest of this lovely poem is found here at the Your Daily Poem site.


Happiest of holidays to you all!

14 comments:

  1. "What really matters is the heart." May your heart be filled with joy and peace this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret! Happy Holidays to you as well.

      Delete
  2. The heart IS what really matters. Have a loving, peaceful, joyful holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iza. I hope yours is wonderful, too!

      Delete
  3. Whether it can reach out
    And touch the mind;
    Whether it has learnt the art
    Of flying with the wind
    To the far ends of the earth.

    How wonderful to believe that one's heart can encompass so much! Happy holidays, my friend - I send wishes of peace and joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara-Same wishes to you & yours. My son & family arrived last night-for a week!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing your beautiful heart, Linda. May your holidays be blessed in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary Lee. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas, too. So far, my son et al are in, & we're out for a family dinner tonight. Happy Solstice!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this thought-provoking poem! I hope you make all kinds of wonderful memories in this first Christmas in your new home! Blessings!!

    Violet N.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Violet. My wishes for good time at Christmas are for you, too!

      Delete
  6. So true, Linda. I enjoyed this poem on YDP--thanks for giving me a chance to re-read it! Merry 2013:>)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Linda--

    We all had to remember to stretch our hearts a little wider this week, didn't we? Mine was a little worn out by Friday, but all these lovely poems are perking it up considerably as I drop in to everyone all weekend. Thank you for this, and happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heidi, it was certainly a bit worn by the end of the week, but I have no gripes, only sorrow for those who have lost loved ones. Happy holidays to you too.

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness, how could I have possibly missed this:
    "What mostly matters
    Is the heart –
    How big it is,
    How stretchable,
    Whether it’s purely physical
    Or something more as well;
    Whether it can reach out
    And touch the mind;
    Whether it has learnt the art
    Of flying with the wind
    To the far ends of the earth."

    Absolutely beautiful. Sometimes poetry affects me in actual physical form, it's borderline scary. Sent chills down my spine. I got goosebumps.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!