Thursday, May 24, 2012

Poetry Friday Is Here Today


        It’s a pleasure to be your host for Poetry Friday this week.  I’m always so excited to see what poetic gifts each of you offers.  Please add your links in the comments and I will add them as the day moves on.  
-------------------------
I’ve been writing goodbye poems over these past months for a personal project I’m doing about different ways of looking at children (mine, others, and grandchildren, too) growing up.  I’ve chosen to do a series of poems at different stages in children’s lives, essentially saying goodbye each time.  I plan to put them together in a book with photos of my grandchildren (10 ½,  3, 10 months) at the particular stage I am describing in the poem.  I have begun using photos to help remember and have also started some writing about my children as they grew up.  I love telling stories through poetry, and I love poems of goodbye, so I thought this would be a good way to combine both passions.  Here is my most recent one, about my grandson Carter, now almost eleven.


It was this day!




(6)
One rain-splattering day,
(unusual in Colorado)
you arrived to play,
all ready for the park.

Because it was so wet
(and way too slick to slide,)
we sadly didn’t get
the planned park adventure.

Rain boots were quickly found
(and also came the slickers);
we then set out around
the block to walk instead.

You splashed in the puddles.
(I jumped in there, too.)
It was a walk of a mud-dle
and we reveled in the mess.

We saw worms one, two, three,
(and I put several in your hand.)
That was just being me
showing you nature in a wiggle.

Nestled in a twiggy bush,
(It cocked its head and nodded).
We were never in a rush
to say Hello Mr. Robin.

We leaned over blooming flowers;
(Many colors brightened our day).
I relished the sprinkly hours
that I spent with you.

You know more than worms now
(You’re no longer four fingers old.)
But for that day if you’ll allow
I’ll keep you always four.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------


The Round-Up Begins here:

       Joy is in first at her blog Poetry For Kids Joy with a limerick about watermelon, but it is also her birthday poet's birthday --Theodore Roethke --so she has links on her blog to three of her favorite  Roethke poems.


       Charles' son, Chip, painted an illustration for his wonderful "Family Tree" poem posted at The FATHER GOOSE Blog
            A few of Chip's other pieces are at ART SHOW



       Tara at A Teaching Life shares a tribute for Memorial Day, a poem, "Facing It" by  Yusef Komunyakaa   


       Violet contributes an original prose poem called "The Sisterhood" at Violet Nesdoly/Poems.

        Fats at Gathering Books  today speaks of the immigrant experience. Feel free to check out Immigrant Blues by Li-Young Lee.


        Rena at On The Way To Somewhere... has poetry tips and contest winners.


        Tabatha at The Opposite of Indifference  gives us a poem by João Cabral de Melo Neto called Weaving.  It reminds her of weaving the Poetry Friday Roundup! 


        Laura at Author Amok is excited about and sharing a fifth grader's poem in response to "Mummy Case of Lady Teshat" from 1,000 B.C. She says this portrait poem blew the class away and moved the classroom teacher to tears! It was one of those magical moments that can happen during a poetry workshop. 


        Renée at NoWaterRiver greets us today with the first video in her Kids' Classics series, which she kicked off with a slightly creepy performance of Lewis Carroll's "Jabberwocky" - complete with costumes and lighting! 


        At Write. Sketch. Repeat, Katya writes that she has wanderlust and Richard Hovey's Sea Gypsy to go with it. 


         Liz writes that she has a silly, original kyrielle about a fly, inspired by Laura Purdie Salas' 15-words-or-less photo this week and Miss Rumphius' poetry stretch. It's at Growing Wild 

         Mary Lee is celebrating the last PF of the school year with a Skype visit from Greg Pincus at A Year of Reading!



        Jama at Jama's Alphabet Soup shares a poem by Hawai'i poet Lee Tonouchi.


        Laura (Laura Salas.com - writing the world for kidsis in with 15 Words or Less poems and invites everybody to come play!


        At Teaching Young Writers, Betsy writes that her poems come after being inspired and reminded how unique qualities, even the one's that she doesn't necessarily understand, have a purpose. There are reasons we are all different and it is likely that the most inventive and insightful ideas will not be inspired by someone who conforms. 


        Maria shares some magic at Teaching In The 21st Century by sharing about her own students and their magical Poetry Friday!


        Robyn takes us nesting with robins at Read, Write, Howl.  She has found a lovely poem    from the 1947 Golden Book of Poetry.


        At Dori Reads, Doraine has an entire week of critters to share, and a snake poem by D.H. Laurence.


         Debbie, at Debbie Diller - A Journey In Learning  must be looking forward to vacation by sharing Bed In Summer by Robert Louis Stevenson. 


        Diane gives us several places to enjoy her poetry:  

  1. Today at Random Noodling she has "The Cove" by Stuart Dischell.

    Kurious Kitty has two poems from Lemonade Sun by Rebecca Kai Dotlich.

    KK's Kwotes has a quote about haiku by R.H. Blyth.  


    At A Wrung Sponge, Andi reviews A Full Moon Rising by Marilyn Singer.
    At The Poem Farm, Amy continues with some free verse about strawberries.
    Barbara at The Write Sisters says they have a poem about Today by Thomas Carlyle.
    At Bildungsroman, Little Willow has posted a quote from The Great Gatsby.

    Karen Edmisten shares a poem by Barbara Crooker.


    Donna at Mainely Write is working hard to clean out her storage unit. She says she found some boxes and bags of my parents' stuff, hence her poem today.


    Jim Hill at Hey, JimHill! was inspired by Bob Raczka's Guyku so he I took a trip down memory lane and wrote a short series of haiku about the old neighborhood pond.


    Lorie Ann, at ReaderTotz, reviews a beautiful picture book titled Snug, by Carol Thompson.  Then, at her blog On Point, she posts an original haiku titled In The Midst of Trial.


    At Check It Out, Jone remembers her friend who died a year ago by sharing a found poem from the friend's blog.  Jone is also telling the winner of a poetry giveaway!


    Heidi at My Juicy Little Universe tells about more musings on family and time at her blog today, and adds in Legos too!


    Ruth at There is no such thing as a God-forsaken Town shares song lyrics today, appropriate for this time of year, and a recording of Nat King Cole singing them.  


    -----------------------------
         It was a lovely day filled with so many kinds of poetry shared.  Thank you everyone! 

46 comments:

  1. Thanks, Linda! Love your idea of doing a family photo album of poems!

    My son, Chip, painted an illustration for my "Family Tree" poem posted at The FATHER GOOSE Blog

    A few of his other pieces are at ART SHOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that on Facebook, Charles. It's beautiful. And I loved your poem, copied it into my notebook!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for hosting, Linda! Love your project and your posted poem.

    My Poetry Friday contrib. is an original prose poem called The Sisterhood. It's here: http://wp.me/pC77F-hX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linda! So happy to be part of your roundup post! I love your poem! My favorite were the last two lines. Bittersweet. I'd probably feel the same way when I have my own children/grandchildren. =)

    My Poetry Friday contribution for today speaks of the immigrant experience. Feel free to check out Immigrant Blues by Li-Young Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your project sounds fun. I often uses pictures as inspiration for poems. This week On The Way To Somewhere...Poetry Tips and Contest Winners
    http://www.renajtraxelblog.com/2012/05/poetic-captions-poetry-tips-and-contest.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Linda! Thanks for hosting. That's an adorable photo you're sharing and a special moment you've captured in your poem!

    I've got a poem by João Cabral de Melo Neto called Weaving The Morning: http://tabathayeatts.blogspot.com/2012/05/weaving-morning.html
    It reminds me a bit of weaving a poetry friday round-up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sharing a fifth grader's poem in response to "Mummy Case of Lady Teshat" from 1,000 B.C. This portrait poem blew the class away and moved the classroom teacher to tears! It was one of those magical moments that can happen during a poetry workshop.

    Thanks for hosting, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yippee for boots and puddles. What wriggly fun to notice the worms, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful project and poem, Linda! I love the idea of saying goodbye to each age, or each moment - really inspired idea. :)

    I'm in today with the first video in my Kids' Classics series, which I kicked off with a slightly creepy performance of Lewis Carroll's "Jabberwocky" - complete with costumes and lighting!

    http://www.nowaterriver.com/poetry-monday-kids-classics-jabberwocky-by-lewis-carroll/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this series, Linda. I'm so glad you are sharing it.

    At Write. Sketch. Repeat. I have wanderlust and Richard Hovey's Sea Gypsy to go with it.

    http://www.katyaczaja.com/posts/wanderlust/

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're so right. Watching a child grow is a long series of good-byes. I like the idea of putting together a whole series of those good-byes.

    I have a silly, original kyrielle about a fly, inspired by Laura Purdie Salas' 15-words-or-less photo this week and Miss Rumphius' poetry stretch. It's at Growing Wild: http://www.lizsteinglass.com/

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love "nature in a wiggle" and your pattern of parenthetical lines!

    We're celebrating the last PF of the school year with a Skype visit from Greg Pincus!

    http://readingyear.blogspot.com/2012/05/poetry-friday-last-pf-friday-of-school.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the poem, Linda. I'm imagining Carter reading it years from now and cherishing every word.

    Today I'm sharing a poem by Hawai'i poet Lee Tonouchi: http://jamarattigan.com/2012/05/25/friday-feast-hawaiis-pidgin-guerrilla/

    Have a wonderful holiday weekend and thanks for hosting today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic project, Linda! I especially love

    walk of a mud-dle
    and we reveled in the mess.

    and

    nature in a wiggle

    What a wonderful gift this will be.

    I'm in with 15 Words or Less poems (everybody, come play) at http://laurasalas.wordpress.com/2012/05/24/fencin/

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you are hosting today, thank you! Also glad to hear another installment in the project, I loved "I relished the sprinkly hours," and "nature in a wiggle." This poem is full of watery sweetness.
    My poems come after being inspired and reminded how unique qualities, even the one's that I don't necessarily understand, have a purpose. There are reasons we are all different and it is likely that the most inventive and insightful ideas will not be inspired by someone who conforms.
    http://teachingyoungwriters.blogspot.com/2012/05/are-you-dreaming.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was a walk of a mud-dle
    and we reveled in the mess.

    Oh, Linda...this was the heart of the poem for me - enjoying childhood is all about being inventive and open and enjoying the moment of togetherness, come mud, or rain, or whatever. Thank you for sharing this project with us, it's a voyage of discovery and renewal, really.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for hosting today. I love the poem and the importance of taking the time for special memories. Poetry Friday is Magic!
    http://bit.ly/JhfXa6

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful way to celebrate your grandchildren! Thanks for sharing and for hosting. I've got robins today, too - nesting with them with a photo by Cory Corrado and a charming poem from 1947. http://www.robynhoodblack.com/blog.htm?post=856405

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for hosting, Linda. I have enjoyed reading your goodbye poems as you have shared them. Your puddle jumping adventure sounds like fun. It's been a week of critters at my house, so I'm in with a snake poem.
    http://dorireads.blogspot.com/2012/05/week-of-critters.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. How wonderful that you have a pic of Carter to go with the poem! What a gift these poems will be to these loved ones. Thank you for sharing your gifts with us. I don't have a link -- just reading along today. xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Linda! The other day I saw a mother and kids with umbrellas just standing in the rain, going nowhere--and then the splashing began! I'm so glad you captured a similar moment.

    Today at Random Noodling I have "The Cove" by Stuart Dischell.

    Kurious Kitty has two poems from Lemonade Sun by Rebecca Kai Dotlich.

    KK's Kwotes has a quote about haiku by R.H. Blyth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, I can't get the KK's Kwotes link to come up. Perhaps you haven't published yet?

      Delete
  21. What lucky grandchildren you have. And lucky us too...to be a part of it all. I love that "nature in a wiggle" and the "sprinkly hours" and just imagining you both jumping and oh, the four fingers old. The ending of this really got me, as my own children are on the threshold of becoming teens.

    Today at The Poem Farm, I have a free verse poem about strawberries!

    http://www.poemfarm.amylv.com/2012/05/strawberries-free-verse.html

    Thank you for hosting! a.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for hosting, Linda. Over at thewritesisters.blogspot.com we have a poem by Thomas Carlyle about the day.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing the poetry AND the photo from that day!

    Today at Bildungsroman, I posted a quote from F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby.

    http://slayground.livejournal.com/701515.html
    http://slayground.livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your poem sounds like one of those days that forged a permanent connection to your grandson. What a treasure for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for hosting, and what a sweet poem about your grandson!

    I'm in with Barbara Crooker this week, and it's here.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sorry I'm late today! Had to run out to the storage unit, as we are trying to slowly clean it out. I found some boxes and bags of my parents' stuff, hence the poem today.
    http://mainelywrite.blogspot.com/2012/05/memories-day.html
    BTW, loved your rainy, wet day, fun day with your grandson poem! Everyday can be special. And in his mind that day was probably one of the specialest he ever remembers! Doesn't he look absolutely delighted in the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gosh, I'm getting a late start today. Can't wait to catch up on these links, Here's mine for the week:
    http://heyjimhill.com/2012/05/kids-pov-haiku-poetry-friday/

    Inspired by Bob Raczka's Guyku I took a trip down memory lane and wrote a short series of haiku about the old neighborhood pond.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much for hosting! We appreciate your time and effort.

    At readertotz, we have a review of Snug, a dear book for the youngest reader in rhyme.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am remembering my friend who passed a year ago today with a found poem from her blog: http://wp.me/pG1xR-kP
    Also announcing the winner of my poetry book.

    ReplyDelete
  30. And at my blog On Point, I have an original haiku, In the Midst of Trial.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Aw man! I thought I posted right after Katya this morning, but I guess I didn't click enough times. I think I need to write some of these poems as an exercise--I'm having a hard time saying a graceful goodbye to the early years, now that (at 13 and nearly 10) they are definitely over. Thanks for sharing.

    More musings on family and time at my blog today, and Legos too!
    http://myjuicylittleuniverse.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-things-fit-together.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for hosting! I have some song lyrics today, appropriate for this time of year, and a recording of Nat King Cole singing them. Here they are.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for being our host. I love the idea of grandma writing down poetic photographs of her grands little moments. I would have felt super special to have known that my grandmother did something like that about me.

    I am sharing a poem about the spring chore of Clipping The Hedge over at my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carlie, I don't have the link to your post. I'll keep checking back.

      Delete
  34. Here's the correct link to KK's Kwotes: http://www.kkskwotes.blogspot.com/

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Just finished reading the Poetry Friday posts for this week. Thanks for hosting. You did a great job, and I love your goodbye poems - such a labor of love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth. It was fun, & I am loving my project-a good goal for now!

      Delete
  36. Very much enjoyed this poem about your grandson at four! I particularly like pattern of the second line parenthetical statement. What a sweet day you have held up for memory!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Dear Linda, Thinking of you and your dad on this Memorial Day Weekend. I hope you feel that so many are proud and appreciative of sacrifices like yours. What branch did he serve in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jennifer, how wonderful of you to think of him. He was a pilot in what was then called the Army Air Corps. His plane was shot down in the Philippines almost at the end of WWII. I think of him often, & then especially at this holiday. There are a number of close to family losses in the military. I appreciate and send my prayers and thoughts for all of them, too. Thank you for this sweet message.

      Delete
    2. Thank you and your family, Linda! Your dad was truly a hero, like so many others. Now I will think of you when we play the Air Force part of our Military Medley in parades and concerts! (We did a parade and a concert both today!)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!