Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Comfort - My One Little Word - In the classroom

Tuesday Slice of Life Is Hosted by Ruth and Stacey at Two Writing Teachers.  Check It Out!



Toward the end of October 2011, Ruth Ayres wrote on her own blog, Ruth Ayres Writes-Discover, Play, Build of the importance of noticing the tiny things.  One line from Ruth continues to strike me as important in the classroom as it is important in the details of our lives.  She writes:  This is true in life, teaching, and writing. So I decided to challenge myself to writing small, looking for the tiny in order to make big realizations. 
            Whenever I am struggling to find a topic on which to write, I return to that post to re-read it.  I have copied it to put into my writer’s notebook.  This time, like so many other times in my posts, I am making connections.  I’m connecting again to Ruth’s ideas, I’m connecting to my One Little Word, Comfort, and I’m connecting to the classroom and teaching.  The quote I chose for my first page in my One Little Word book is this: Life is made up, not of great sacrifices or duties, but of little things in which smiles, and kindnesses, and small obligations, given habitually, are what win and preserve the heart and secure comfort- Humphrey Davy.  I am also connecting to Diana and her blog, One Literacy Coach because she sometimes posts such creative and thoughtful graphics like Wordles or something from Tagxedo in her posts. 


            These are the little things that support, that bring comfort to those with whom I work because I want to communicate that I care about them, them personally along with them learning.  I know that you all have chosen your own personal acts of kindness in order to provide comfort.  We all need it; we all need to give it.  I think I’m beginning to embrace my One Little Word!

            Here is my Tagxedo of the things that give comfort to students in the classroom and now the teachers with whom I work:




16 comments:

  1. So cool - I love your tagxedo. I'm used wordle several times but never that. Will have to play around with it a bit today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids do have to find comfort in their class in order to learn. You are the master at making those connections! I am working on that in my writing. Wonderful graphic, I keep meaning to play with Tagxedo, you may have inspired me to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to make a tagxedo. Thanks for reminding of Ruth's post and for sharing yours. I like how some phrases repeat themselves--all important to survival.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot use Tagxedo. I tried last week, after seeing other people's Tagxedo's, but I don't have the right software on my (getting older by the minute) computer. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of putting a post I ponder in my writing notebook and I have never thought to do it. I love when the simple and obvious are pointed out to me by wise people. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have revisited that post of Ruth's about the tiny things.
    Good reminders.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun word cloud! Did you brainstorm the words yourself or ask the students and teachers to come up with them? Either way, thanks for sharing! I love your quotation, and I enjoyed the variety of things you found that can be comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your apple just gave me an idea! I have been trying to think of a way to give my team members at school a boost. We are up against so much lately- multiple students with parents in jail, pending deportation of students' parents, unreasonable expectations to produce achievement results, meaningless tests we are forced to shove at kids, evaluations that make wonderful teachers feel mediocre...you know-the usual. Your apple reminded me of the power of a simple note, a hug, a piece of chocolate to help make someone feel appreciated...and COMFORTable. Thank you for your nudge. I am going to be busy making some thank-you notes tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great insights and it seems as if you are truly embracing your OLW! The graphic is a perfect reminder of the comfort we all need on a daily basis, but it's the simple things that mean so much.

    So, thank YOU, for sharing today. Hope you don't mind, but I printed your tagxedo for my own comfort. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that BANDAIDS was right up there in importance with THANK YOU NOTES. CHOCOLATE and BOOKS were equal, too, in giving comfort - I so agree. Nice post. You should make your tagxedo into a bookmark....oooh, or make yourself a mug with it on it! Keep it on your desk at school to remind yourself...a little gift of comfort for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a wonderful word cloud. I loved Thank You Notes and Band Aids. The memoir craft book I mentioned The Memoir Project by Marion Roach Smith encourages writers to think small too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I noticed that the stem was "conversation." A stem is a connection and conversation creates connections. I thought that was cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have no doubt that you bring comfort to those around you wherever you go: the teachers, the students, your children and grandchildren . . .
    Your post makes me think of the comfort that a writing community gives to one another too. I, also, looked to Ruth Ayres' blog to find inspiration for this week's slice. I found it comforting to know that reading the blogs of this writing community would inspire me to write, think, reflect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I gave the teachers on my team thank-you notes today at the start of our team meeting, thanks to your post! Many of them teared up when they read my words. I think the notes empowered us all to speak up to our counselor and our assistant principal, who were also part of the meeting, about the support we need. Thank you again for the nudge!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Linda,
    I'm humbled that you highlighted my words and that they resonate within you. This is what I hope for my writing and I feel special knowing it inspires you.

    Beautiful OLW choice + graphic. The next time I eat a DumDum pop or put a band aid on I'm going to think of you & your OLW.

    Thanks,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to thank everyone for your comments this week. It's like getting a hug each time. I wish you all the comfort you can find for yourselves this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!