Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Favorite Month


May 11, 2011




My Favorite Month

When we gaze across the months, we see that some seem

more dutiful to the seasons than others. My vote goes often

to October as the favorite, holding minutes of dreams

of summer weather, then hinting at times of winter

with cooler nights. It glories in the final blast

of color from the summer gardens, and the leaves who’ve

lost their springtime green turn now to loss, yet hold fast

with their goodbyes in oranges, reds and yellows.

October carries us on the coaster ride from warm to cold

Winding down to Halloween, the holiday of old.


7 comments:

  1. I'm surprised you picked October while we're in the midst of spring. I happen to like October best also. The betweeness of it is sweet. The smells are fantastic.
    I like how you wrote about how it holds aspects of both summer and winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the same thing as Donna -- why write about October in the middle of spring? But I also love October and you described why so perfectly! I am one that loves the changes in seasons, so the in between the "extremes" is heavenly to me!

    I also wanted you to know that I emailed Stenhouse because you and I were the only two to respond to a post about a teacher who touched your life. The post stated that three commenters would be picked at random to choose a free book. I never heard anything...so I emailed the editor and I am able to pick a book! I just want to be sure that you also received an email. If not, you should email the editor too! Let me know if you have any questions about it! :) Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Michelle. I didn't hear anything. I'll try to figure it out, & if not, I'll get back to you. I forgot all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! Glad to hear that you are getting a free book! Now...what to choose??? Any thoughts or recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I chose Day by Day, because I still don't have it, but I have others & one that has been helpful in finding mentor texts is Less Is More. I refer to it quite a lot. Thanks again; I am thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. Unexpected choice in spring. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. holding minutes of dreams

    of summer weather...Love this line! It so perfectly defines October...beautiful job...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!