Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Life's changes are not always good


Slice of Life Challenge #30 - March 30, 2011

This is the first time I’ve written about this, and it’s not easy to put into words. In January, my son, daughter-in-law, and 9-year-old grandson moved out of state. I still feel tender about the move, wanting so much to be supportive of my son and his need to find the next opportunity of his career, but still missing them so much. Because they were selling their home, my grandson and his mom stayed here from September when my son left, and I picked my grandson up from school three days a week. He has stayed with us often from babyhood, so it was an easy transition, just more regular than usual.

I loved the time, and there were even some whole weekends with him. I love his easiness to be with, his enthusiasm for nearly everything we proposed, and the crazy fun things we did, like getting ice cream at Baskin Robbins on Fridays, then walking around the parking lot while eating, looking for dropped coins and interesting rocks in the landscaped areas. We played endless games of a silly card game called Ruckus, and ate quite a bit of apple pie. I took lots of photos, mainly of funny faces, sometimes with his grandpa, and sometimes of him throwing the football, which he loves to do. One is in this post. I’ve actually learned to pass pretty well myself during the hours we’ve spent together.

My grandson has always been in my life, and now he isn’t. We are e-mailing and calling, keeping in touch, but it isn’t easy with a young boy-can’t pass a football across the miles. We will go on our annual summer trip together and visit as often as possible. I hope our new kind of relationship will be strong, and fun, long distance. But I do miss him very much.

So-from another source, my newest inspiration: “If you want something you’ve never had before, you have to do something you’ve never done before.” I am working hard to learn from this, especially because of today’s story. Life isn’t so easy some of the time.

11 comments:

  1. Oh! Your post made me tear up. What a wonderful thing that you have made these memories together. I like your inspiring quote at the end. It will be harder work to make memories across miles now - but definitely worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What heartfelt words you used to describe the love between Grandma and Grandson. So touching.
    I'm welcoming my first grandchild this fall and they talk about moving when grad school is over. Oh my.
    I'm in KC and heading to Columbia tomorrow. I know Happy Trails and contribute regularly! I'll keep my ear open for the Johnson teacher clan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really bared your soul on this one. I am so sorry that your grandson is no longer close by. I do believe that you are showing him how to make the best of a situation by emailing, calling...have you done Skype? Our sons are in SF and Philly. It is very hard having your loved ones far away but you learn to make the very best of the time you have together. It may not be ideal...but he will always be able to feel your love...I can feel it in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, do I feel for you! I have never had a grandchild live close to me, but I would love it! I know that there are those that have them out of the country and that would kill me. You will have to skype and talk on the phone. It helps but i know it is not the same. You have built a relationship and keep it going! Best of luck to you! Thanks for sharing! Happy Slicing! :) I know this was hard. By the way, thanks for your comments on my blog. I plan to continue writing about my lessons for my students. It makes it more authentic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do know about Skype, & have it on my laptop. We will do it, but they haven't downloaded it yet. Something to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could have been my mom writing that. My boys have been 30 minutes away from my parents until this year. We were all heart broken and the first few months were full of tears and phone calls. Skype has done wonders. My boys get to talk to their grandparents, great-grandma, and cousin. What did we do without technology? Good luck, and know that it will get easier with time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heartfelt. Touching. Real. My parents live ten hours away, and it is tough for them not seeing my two daughters. They have made great efforts this past year to visit as much as they can. We also Skype once a week and they love at least seeing and talking to the girls. It's hard, but keep the connection and bond alive! Your grandson will never forget that time you dedicated to him.

    Plus, doesn't it feel a little better writing about it? Sharing those feelings? Opening up? Love your new inspirational quote as well - perfect way to sum it all up.

    Thanks for sharing such a personal memoir.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lucky your grandson is! You will always be a part of his life, no matter how far away he may be...you will always have these golden memories of ice cream and football and conversations over apple pie of a time when he lived with you. My parents live in London - we saw them in the summer for long stretches, and at Christmas. My mom has never known the everyday joys you have - that's why I think your grandson is so lucky. Distance between family is so very hard, even in this age of technology - but love finds a way. And you, too, will.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Same experience. Not easy. I have one grandson and for the first five years of his life he basically lived with us. Then the move.:( He is now eleven and I still miss him. We visit often and he spends several weeks with us in the summer. Still hard. Hang in there. I have fallen in love with "their city", St. Louis because of the move.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing something that wasn't easy to write about. Also, I like that you shared with us. Sometimes through the challenges we go through we grow and learn more about ourself in ways we couldn't before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I have tears in my eyes. What a wonderful connection you have with your grandchildren. He will always remember it even if you don't get to see him as much. Seeing the situation through your eyes makes me rethink some actions I have taken in the past. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!